The new free AtomOS 10.51 for Ninja V is now available. The firmware update further improves the user interface and workflow, and users of the Z CAM E2 series receive advanced camera control via the Ninja V touchscreen.
About two weeks ago we already informed you about the firmware update 10.5 for the Ninja V. With this update, the 5-inch monitor recorder from Atomos was able to control various settings of Z CAM cameras. Atomos has now announced another free AtomOS 10.51 firmware update for the Ninja V that further extends the Z CAM control functions. Let's take a quick look at the news.
AtomOS 10.51 update for Ninja V.
The new Z CAM navigation updates include:
- Access the Z CAM menu screen from the Ninja V touchscreen through the camera control menu. Note: The camera control menu is not possible when RAW is recorded via HDMI.
- Use the Menu, Arrow, and Enter buttons to navigate directly through the Ninja V touchscreen and through the buttons on the camera through the camera menu.
- A feature added to the Ninja V Shooting Menu to force menus to remain active in cases where the Shooting Menu and display information are required.
The AtomHDR engine was supported for Z Cam Zlog2 Gamma when recording the video output for recording in ProRes or DNx. With the HLG and PQ monitoring modes, the extended dynamic range can be extended beyond the 6-stop limit of Rec.709 without the need for exposure compensation. Native mode enables Zlog2 to be viewed in its native compressed LOG form. Existing Zlog2 3D LUTs can be linked to this entry for display. Rec.709 applies a Rec.709 conversion and displays truncated highlights. The LUT monitoring option allows you to apply the selected 3D LUT to the image for monitoring. The LUT is also applied to the waveform track, can be burned into the recording and / or looped out.
Zlog2 is output and recorded in full, and your NLE workflow should be set to match it. The Legalize option can be applied to LOG if your NLE workflow requires legal area footage. HLG and PQ monitoring functions are not available when using this workflow. If you are using 3D LUTs with this workflow, make sure that the input area of the LUT is defined as allowed.
A battery capacity warning has also been added. A separate pop-up menu warns of low battery capacity of the camera or Ninja V.
AtomOS 10.51 firmware fixes:
- Refinement of waveform grids for monitoring in Rec.709, HLG and PQ modes.
- Fixed an issue where an incorrect LUT monitoring mode may have been reported in the top information bar.
- The naming convention of AtomX SYNC devices has been changed.
- File browser performance improvements in playback mode.
- The compatibility of the AutoHDR function in AtomHDR has been improved, which can lead to the Ninja V occasionally freezing
Atomos has also released new video tutorials on its YouTube channel. The first shows the setup instructions for the ProRes RAW camera control with the Z CAM E2 series and Ninja V.
The other tutorial shows Z CAM ProRes' RAW SDR workflow in Final Cut Pro X.
The free firmware update for AtomOS 10.51 can be downloaded for free from the Atomos website.
What do you think of the ProRes RAW workflow with Z CAM and Ninja V? Do you use the Ninja V or Z-CAM cameras for your work? Let us know in the comments below the article.
AtomosNinja V 5 "4K HDMI recording monitor
Z CAME2-M4 Professional 4K Cinema Camera (Micro Four Thirds)
Z CAME2-S6 Super 35 6K cinema camera (EF bracket)
Z CAME2-F6 6K full-frame camera (EF bracket)
Z CAME2-F8 8K full-frame camera (EF bracket)