Media, entertainment and digital design software developer foundry launched Modo 14, the complete three-part series update. With an emphasis on speeding up artists' workflows, the release consolidates the 2020 updates with several new features like USD support, Rig Clay, Grease Pencil, MeshFusion Embossing and Ghost / Xray Viewport.
In addition to these new features, many aspects of the existing modeling, procedure, UV tools, and rendering workflows have been refined to not only improve creative control, but also improve performance. With Boolean values, selections, and rendering, there were over 10x speed improvements.
"This year, more than ever, we are committed to helping artists increase their creative potential," said Shane Griffith, Director Product – Digital Design, Foundry. “Modo 14 was designed to speed up day-to-day operations and focused on key features and improvements that our customer base requested. More than 60 new unique features and workflow improvements round off this final edition and complete Modo 14 as an essential part of every 3D Artist & # 39; s toolbox. "
Take a look at the Modo 14 overview:
Modo 14 improvements:
- The direct modeling toolset, known for its shared focus on workflow and technical innovation, continues that focus with its series of direct modeling with a total of over 17 features and improvements in this area. New upgrades include the new Mitering Offset and Sharp Corner options for Edge Chamfer, as well as the new Chamfer Edit tool for direct or procedural modeling, which allows artists to creatively revise the offset, depth, or direction of their work.
- The procedural modeling tool sets introduced in Modo 10 provide a system for the future of modeling. These releases brought improvements to all direct modeling functions, including significant additions to MeshFusion, Procedural Vmaps and Keep Vertices for Deleted Geometry.
Rendering & Shading:
- mPath has received a number of upgrades – GPU acceleration via Optix 7, support from Intel Embree, Cryptomatte for smart and lightweight automated masking, and improvements to the shading workflow from the PBR Loader and Shader Tree Scale groups.
- UV Relax has been added to the process system. With the Real World Size, the Modos UV tools have become an important part of any 3D design arsenal.
Animation & Rigging:
- By adding an optimized IK / FK toggle for planar IK, Rig Clay for animators allows for more interactive manipulation of shapes or set keys, as well as USD import / export for industry standard exchange.
- The expanded viewport has been optimized for faster processing of shader trees. Boolean values were accelerated 380 times in complex examples. Component selection is twice as fast, and edge removal operations have shown improvements of up to 100x. Edge Relax is also now 5x faster.
- Improved transparency rendering speeds up and improves the quality of these complex effects. Ghost and Xray provide convenient visualization options to enhance everyday tasks such as modeling, layout, and rigging. The new topology presets offer a dramatically superior retopo experience, and markup allows artists to intuitively note scenes in the viewport to improve communication and collaboration.
Workflow and user experience:
- Modo 14 further expands its workflow focus with many relevant improvements such as trackball rotation, form presets and alt-click for inactive net.
The foundry will host a webinar on November 17th on the latest updates from Modo 14:
"Foundry Webinar: Modo 14 – The Complete Series"
- Shane Griffin, Foundry Director for Product Digital Design
- Foundry Product Designer Greg Brown.
About the webinar:
- Modo 14.2 completes this year's series with even more features and improvements to accelerate your creativity. Ongoing modeling improvements in Edge Chamfer and Boolean performance improvements, improved topology views and vertex map support in AVP, USD import, and a host of improvements in mPath and denoising are some of the features that make Modo 14 an indispensable version.
Register for the Foundry Webinar: Modo 14 – The Complete Series Here.