FRIEDRICHSDORF, GERMANY – Maxon and Red Giant released a tutorial this past weekend that is inspired by the new movie Bill and Ted 3: Face the Music. In this episode of cheap tricks, Dan “Hashi” Hashimoto, the action movie dad, travels back in time to show viewers how to recreate Bill and Ted's legendary time travel phone booth in Cinema 4D and use Adobe After Effects to create breathtaking VFX – and compositing functions can be created by tools from the VFX, Trapcode and Magic Bullet suites from Red Giant.
Hashi walks viewers step by step through his visual effects, starting with creating the custom phone booth and egg-shaped time pod in Cinema 4D. To create the animation for the phone booth, he pulled in a 3D model from Sketchfab and created the Time pod in Cinema 4D from scratch. Later in the tutorial, Hashi shows how he developed the phone booth effects that travel through time with Trapcode Particular, VFX Supercomp, Magic Bullet Renoiser, and other tools. At the end of the episode, he shows how to create a VR environment that can be used as a reflection map using Trapcode Particular.
The full set of tools used includes:
- Maxon Cinema 4D: A professional 3D modeling, animation and rendering software solution. The powerful and flexible toolset makes 3D workflows more accessible for design professionals.
- VFX Supercomp: A compositing environment that makes it easy to create complex, seamless composites. Light and atmosphere effects interact in a much more natural way with all the layers and elements of a scene.
- VFX Reflection: This tool makes it easy to add reflection to layers. With controls for softness, fade, length, and more, this effect goes way beyond the standard methods of creating reflections.
- VFX Optical Glow: Optical Glow is a lightning-fast, mind-boggling, beautiful, photo-realistic glow effect for After Effects and Premiere Pro, making adding picture-perfect glow effects to projects incredibly easy.
- Special Trapcode: Create organic 3-D particle effects, complex motion graphics, and more in After Effects. Now with fluid dynamics.
- Trapcode Form: Create 3D particle grids and objects in After Effects for visually stunning results.
- Trapcode Tao: Generate 3D geometry along a path in After Effects.
- Trapcode Horizon: Trapcode Horizon is a plug-in for After Effects and enables the use of 360-degree picture maps or the creation of multi-color gradients as an infinite background for 3D compositions.
- Magic Bullet Looks: Designed to give filmmakers powerful looks and color grading, with over 200 fully customizable look presets and over 40 tools to customize or create new looks.
- Magic Bullet Renoiser: This tool breathes life into digital footage with cinematic texture and grain.
Information and test download are available for both Red giant Complete and Maxon Cinema 4D.