"We started planning a 45th festival this year, much like we did in our previous editions," said Bailey, artistic director and co-director of TIFF, in a press release, "but on the way we had to rethink almost everything. This year's lineup reflects this tumult. The names you already know are doing brand new things this year and there are a number of exciting new names to discover. We are grateful to every filmmaker and company that joined us on this adventure, and we can't wait to share these brilliant films with our audience. "
"TIFF 2020 is a special edition and symbolizes what is possible when collaboration, ingenuity and passion are the focus," said Vicente, Executive Director and Co-Head of TIFF. "It is also a time for us to celebrate and reaffirm some of TIFF's core values, including the power film that must drive us forward as a society and present a variety of voices." I am proud and excited to share these films with the audience. "
The titles we look forward to at Filmmaker include:
- Chloé Zhaos France's McDormand lead actor Nomadland, based on Jessica Bruder's nonfiction book on economic breakdown and inequality. The film will also play Venice and New York.
- Fire at Sea director Gianfrancos Notturno, a document filmed across the Middle East that, according to Rosi, will investigate "how borders have changed people's fate".
- By Spike Lee, David Byrnes American Utopia, a concert film about the musician's Broadway hit.
- Good Joe Bell, 25 New Face Reinaldo Marcus Green & # 39; s successor to his monsters and men, Good Joe Bell, is based on a screenplay by Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry and stars Mark Whalberg and Connie Britton.
- The Inheritance by Ephraim Asili, who, according to his trailer page, “Weaves Stories of the West Philadelphia-based MOVE Organization, the Black Arts Movement and the dramatizations of the filmmaker's life when he was a member of a Black Marxist Collective. ”
- One Night in Miami, Regina King's directorial debut, just acquired by Amazon Studios. Based on a piece by Kemp Powers, the 1964 film portrays a young Cassius Clay (before becoming Muhammad Ali) in the days after defeating Sonny Liston to become the World Heavyweight Boxing Champion, and celebrated and spoke to Malcolm X on politics (Kingsley Ben-Adir), Sam Cooke (Leslie Odom Jr.) and Jim Brown (Aldis Hodge).
TIFF runs from September 10th to 19th this year. The full list of films can be found below.
180 degree rule Farnoosh Samadi | Iran
76 days Hao Wu, Anonymous, Weixi Chen | United States
Ammonite Francis Lee | Great Britain
Another round (Druk) Thomas Vinterberg | Denmark
Bandar Band Manijeh Hekmat | Iran / Germany
Beans Tracey Deer | Canada
Beginning (Dasatskisi) Dea Kulumbegashvili | Georgia / France
The best is yet to come (Bu Zhi Bu Xiu) Wang Jing | China
Squashed Halle Berry | United States
City Hall Frederick Wiseman | United States
Concrete Cowboy Ricky Staub | United States
David Byrnes American Utopia Spike Lee | USA (opening film)
The student Chaitanya Tamhane | India
Enemies of the state Sonia Kennebeck | United States
Falling Viggo Mortensen | Canada / United Kingdom
The Father Florian Zeller | United Kingdom / France
Fauna Nicolás Pereda | Mexico / Canada
Fireball: Visitors from darker worlds Werner Herzog, Clive Oppenheimer | United Kingdom / USA
Gaza mon amour Tarzan Nasser, Arabian Nasser | Palestine / France / Germany / Portugal / Qatar
Get Hell Out (Tao Chu Li Fa Yuan) I Fan Wang | Taiwan
Good Joe Bell Reinaldo Marcus Green | United States
I am very caring J Blakeson | Great Britain
Inconvenient Indian Michelle Latimer | Canada
Inheritance Ephraim Asili | United States
Raise Like A Girl (Ash Ya Captain) Mayye Zayed | Egypt / Germany / Denmark
Limbo Ben Sharrock | Great Britain
Memorial House (Casa de Antiguidades) João Paulo Miranda Maria | Brazil / France
MLK / FBI Sam Pollard | United States
The New Corporation: The Unfortunately Necessary Continuation Joel Bakan, Jennifer Abbott | Canada
Order new (Nuevo order) Michel Franco | Mexico
Night of the Kings (La Nuit des Rois) Philippe Lacôte | Ivory Coast / France / Canada / Senegal
Nomadland Chloé Zhao | United States
Not an ordinary man, the Chin-Yee, Chase Joynt | Canada
Notturno Gianfranco Rosi | Italy / France / Germany
One night in Miami Regina King | United States
Penguin Flower Glendyn Ivin | Australia
Pieces by a woman Kornél Mundruczó | USA / Canada / Hungary
Preparations to be together for an unknown period of time (Felkészülés meghatározatlan ideig tartó együttlétre) Lili Horvát | Hungary
Quo Vadis, Aïda? Jasmila Žbanić | Bosnia and Herzegovina / Norway / Netherlands / Austria / Romania / France / Germany / Poland / Turkey
Shadows in the cloud Roseanne Liang | USA / New Zealand
Shiva Baby Emma Seligman | USA / Canada
Spring Bloom Suzanne Lindon | France
A Matching Boy Mira Nair | United Kingdom / India (final presentation)
Summer 85 (Été 85) François Ozon | France
The third day Felix Barrett, Dennis Kelly | Great Britain
Trickster Michelle Latimer | Canada
True Mothers (Asa Ga Kuru) Naomi Kawase | Japan
Open air (Subarashiki Sekai) Miwa Nishikawa | Japan
Injury Madeleine Sims-Less, Dusty Mancinelli | Canada
Wildfire Cathy Brady | United Kingdom / Ireland