Zaxcom recently released a new wireless audio transmitter: the Zaxcom ZMT4. The ZMT4 is an extremely small, compact and lightweight device with a brand new microphone preamp, NeverClip technology, internal recording functions and an extended battery life. Let's take a closer look!
Zaxcom is known among audio professionals for making rugged, high quality wireless audio transmitters / receivers and state-of-the-art audio recorders. Your equipment is used by sound recorders around the world for documentaries, feature films, television series, etc.
The company recently released a new wireless audio transmitter called the Zaxcom ZMT4 which, based on user feedback, improves many of the features of the ZMT3 that we discovered during NAB 2017.
Zaxcom ZMT4 features
The Zaxcom ZMT4 is a compact and lightweight wireless audio transmitter that measures just 55.8 mm x 40.6 mm x 14 mm and weighs 62 grams with a battery. Speaking of batteries: The ZMT4 is powered by a FUJIFILM NP-50 battery. According to Zaxcom, "a single NP-50 battery will last up to 6 hours with a 5V lavalier and up to 4.5 hours using a 12-48V boom microphone."
Top view of the Zaxcom ZMT4. Photo credit: Zaxcom
The antenna slot and a 3-pin Micro-LEMO microphone connector are located on top of the ZMT4. The transmitter supports balanced 12/24/36 / 48V microphones and 3.3 / 5V lavalier microphones.
Photo credit: Zaxcom
On the front of the device there is an OLED display, an on / off button, a menu / play button and navigation buttons that also act as rec / stop triggers.
Indeed, the Zaxcom ZMT4 is a wireless audio transmitter that can also record a security track on a removable microSD. Zaxcom claims they use "highly reliable MARF (Mobile Audio Recording Format) which eliminates file corruption due to a dead battery or premature removal of the card". Peace of mind is the key here!
Zaxcom ZMT4 – What's new?
Most of the changes to the ZMT4 compared to the previous model, however, are inside. Here are all of the new features:
- New microphone preamp design. The noise content of the preamp and A-D combo now uses NeverClip with both Lav and balanced boom microphones, making the microphone's environment and inherent noise the dominant noise components.
- NeverClip is available in all modes of the ZMT4. Two A / D converters are used to expand the dynamic range of the transmitter to 136 dB so that there is never any distortion of the limiter.
- The ZMT4 is equipped with ZaxNet, a long-range remote control system that allows the user to change the frequency, preamp gain, sleep mode, and put the internal recorder into record, play and stop modes – all without ever having to do so is disrupting talent.
- PowerRoll, a technology that sets the power level of the ZMT4 to 50 mW when the audio it receives is recorded by a ZaxNet compatible recorder. If the audio from the transmitter is not recorded, the power is automatically reduced to 10 mW, which saves you a certain amount of battery life.
- Modulation options: Zaxcom High Density Modulation (ZHD) increases the number of available channels from 4 to 9 per 1 MHz spectrum, ideal for reflective environments such as busy city streets. With XR you get the maximum distance in less dense / controlled spaces.
As you can see, these high-end features and enhancements are for the serious audio professional who needs premium quality and reliability.
Price and availability
The Zaxcom ZMT4 will be shipping this month for USD 1995.00. Further information can be found on the Zaxcom website here.
Have you ever used Zaxcom wireless audio systems or recorders? What is your wireless audio microphone? Don't hesitate to let us know in the comments below!